Sew Different are thrilled to be hosting our second SEWCIAL this Autumn. Come along and join us for an evening of sewing related entertainment at Frocktails. Hand-in-hand with our evening sewcial, there will be workshops that will run through the day on the Saturday. So why not make a full day of it!
Frocktails • 6-9.30pm • £35
• Debbie Shore, voted this years Most Inspiring Sewing Personality, tells us about her sewing journey and her rise to fame through Youtube and the Sewing Quarter.
• Catwalk Show – be inspired by our show of home-sewn dresses, jackets and coats featuring a range of patterns for all seasons. Among our models will be YouTuber, Hila, from Saturday Night Stitch will be wearing a selection of garments from her vast and stylish home-sewn wardrobe.
• A talk from Janet Poole about her experience on the GBSB An illustrated presentation about the highs and the lows of her time spent on the Great British Sewing Bee.
• 2 course evening meal – buffet style dinner with a range of vege and non-vege dishes. There will also be a bar open for anyone fancying a drink to accompany dinner.
• Best Dress Competition – For those who want to showcase your skills and take part in our competition, no need to enter beforehand – just turn up in your best handmade creation. On our judging panel is Janet Poole from the GBSB, Hila, from Saturday Night Stitch and Tree from Stitchless TV .
• Linton Tweed – We will have a selected range of the infamous Linton Tweed – as used by Coco Channel herself. Limited edition two metre pieces available at a FABULOUS price.
• FREE pattern swap for charity – Time to go through your stash and bring along your unwanted patterns. Swap them for a new one. Donations go the Alzheimers Society. Patterns may be used but must be complete please.
• Janome demo – Janome will be present at Frocktails demonstrating their cover stitch machines. If you have ever fancied a go with one then this is the time to try before you buy!
• Crossover Jumpsuit – see the launch of Sew Different’s brand new sewing pattern. The Crossover Jumpsuit wraps over across the bodice and and fastens with ties and a popper on the left. It has capped sleeves and fits gently with pleats at the waist. There are generous pockets and it comes in three trousers lengths – short (as a playsuit), 3/4 length and full length and there is also an optional longer sleeve. The Crossover Jumpsuit will be available to buy, along with Sew Different’s full range of patterns.
• How to make your own bodice block the easy way – Live demo by Tree from Stitchless TV. Celebrity sewist and vlogger, Tree will demonstrate how to create your own easy bodice block by draping fabric onto a mannequin and then transferring it onto paper. You can use this template to make perfect fitting garments time and time again. Tree will have a supply pattern paper and calico available for you to take home and try it for yourself. This talk is kindly sponsored by William Gee.
PLEASE NOTE: this is event is still in planning so there may be some changes to the events.
The Venue is the stylish lounge at Hub 26, (BD19 4LN) which is at junction 26 of the M62, just south of Leeds in West Yorkshire. For those of you who want to travel up and make an overnight stay, there is a Premier Inn just a 10 minute walk away, or the Gomersal Lodge and Gomersal Park Hotel & Spa are just a 5 minute drive.
Make the Longline Jacket
Make our best selling Longline Jacket pattern in a day. This stylish Sew Different pattern works really well on nearly every body shape and looks great in so many different fabrics from an everyday denim to a cosy corduroy, a sumptuous raw silk and even some furnishing fabrics. The pattern worth £15 is included and pattern sizes go from a UK8-26. Sewing machines, all other equipment are provided.
To enable us to finish this jacket in the day you will need to arrive with your fabric pre-cut. Advice about what fabric to buy can be had from Fabworks Mill Shop and, for advice about which size to cut, please email: [email protected]. Your pattern will be posted to you the week before the workshop to enable you to pre-cut. £75 day workshop
Make the Pontoon Tier Dress
Vlogger, Tree will be teaching you her brand new pattern. This dress can be made at midi or maxi length. Sizes are Small, Medium and Large.
The POntoon Tier Dress is fabulous as a floaty Summer number, but it works equally well with a long sleeved top underneath to wear with tights and boots! This workshop is ideal for sewists of all levels! Just bring along 3 metres of your own fabric – the pattern worth £15 is included. Sewing machines are provided. £75 day workshop.
This workshop is kindly sponsored by Janome.
Naughty Cross Stitch – a step-by-step class for beginners. Everything you need to know to get started with cross stitch including this fabulous cheeky design made uniquely for our Frocktails workshop. Alison will show you all the techniques you need to make this. (You can make a good start in our 2.5 hour class but will have to take it home to finish it.) You have the choice of a black or white background to work on. Cross stitch kit worth £15 included – £35 • morning or afternoon option
Leatherwork – Make a Scissor Holster
Imagine never losing your scissors again! Make your own leather scissor holster with buckled belt and handy pouch for all those sewing essentials. Choose from 5 gorgeous leathers – teal, tan, cream, red and pink – and a selection of cotton lining fabrics. If you have lining of your own that you would like to use, bring it along.
All leather components will be pre cut to save you time. You can concentrate on putting your own spin on it by the way you put it together. You can machine sew, whip stitch or rivet it together. It’s really up to you!
When you book your class, please specify what colour leather you would like, a rough waist measurement for the belt and – IMPORTANT – whether you are left or right handed. £65 • 10am-3.30pm