Sew Different bring you dates for their brand new sewing retreats for 2019. Spend 3 full days browsing fabrics, chatting with fellow sewists and creating a stylish piece of clothing that is completely unique. In between stitches you can indulge in afternoon tea and enjoy the beautiful setting of Cannon Hall and its magnificent grounds. Choose your project from the Sew Different range of sewing patterns and with the help of our expert advice and tuition, create a dress, top or jacket that fits you beautifully.
Please note that the venue has changed since the filming of this video.
Set in the picturesque Cannon Hall, a stunning Georgian Country house with 70 acres of historic parkland, the venue is only 10 minutes from the M1, half an hour north of Sheffield. Our studio is fully equipped with sewing machines and every other item you will need for the duration of the retreat.
The course starts with a trip out to the famous Fabworks Mill Shop where you will have a couple of hours to browse their vast range and select the fabrics for your project. There will be help and advice on-hand from Laura, Sew Different’s designer, and from Tara, Fabworks’ resident fabric expert. After this, it is back to the sewing studio where you will have the benefit of a small teaching group (max 8) so that there is plenty of opportunity for one on one help if needed. Our dedicated sewing teacher, Donna, has many years experience with both beginners as well as more able sewists. Help and advice are on hand every step of the way, from choosing your fabric to cutting your pattern and putting your garment together. The retreat is suitable for beginners and intermediate sewists who have perhaps done some small sewing projects or made simple garments in the past. You can learn how to make your own bias binding, how to finish an immaculate neckline, fit the perfect zipper or add in an extra dart where needed. Every project is individual so we can tailor it to your own style and ability level. You can feel confident tackling new techniques knowing that technical help is always to hand.
Choose your project from the Sew Different range of multisize patterns. Laura will be there for the duration of the course as your host and to assist with the design, colour and fabric elements of your project. We will be very happy to guide you towards a project that is right for your level of expertise and there are plenty of clothing samples to try on to get idea of what suits you. In the past we have helped to customise and pattern hack for our sewists to reflect their creative urges(!) so that each project is unique.
We understand that the Sew Different range of patterns are quite a distinctive style and not everyone’s cup of tea, so if you would prefer to bring along your own pattern to make for the weekend, then we would be more than happy to add something different to the mix!
Yorkshire is famous for its rolling green countryside and hosts some fantastic places to visit, including the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. There is a great farm shop at Cannon Hall itself and its grounds have direct access into the pretty village of Cawthorne which hosts a good pub, an antique shop and a small museum. There are also great walking and cycling routes for anyone who is thinking of bringing along a non-sewing partner!
Accommodation is not included in the retreat. There are a list of suggested places to stay here all within easy reach of Cannon Hall.
Itinerary â€¢ 3 day course – 10th – 12th May 2019
- 9.15am Meet at the studio Friday morning for an introduction from Laura, when you can choose your project from the Sew Different range of patterns.
- 10am Our minibus arrives to take us to Fabworks Mill Shop, a fabulous Aladdin’s Cave of every type of fabric you can imagine. On arrival we will be met by Fabworks’ onsite expert who will be on-hand to advise each person of the suitability of fabric for their project. You will have a couple of hours to browse and purchase all the fabric you want – no limit as long as you can carry it!
- 12.00 Then back to the sewing studio for a delicious lunch and to meet our expert seamstress and teacher, Donna, who will be on hand for the duration of the course to help and advise you with the making of your garment. Whether you need help with the basics or fine tuning for a professional finish, you can work at your own pace. The studio will be open for you until 4.45pm.
- 9.15am Arrive Saturday at the studio for a full day of sewing. Both Laura and Donna will be there to help with your ongoing project. There are always fresh pastries, fruit and a cheese board to keep you going, but save yourself for the decadent afternoon tea served on vintage crockery with sandwiches, cakes and a glass (or 2) of Prosecco. You are free to stay and sew until 4.45pm.
- 9.15am The studio opens again on Sunday morning. There will be demonstrations of useful techniques and projects for your fabric off-cuts available for those who finish their garment early. Lunch will be served in the studio on Sunday and the afternoon is for you to finish off your sewing.
- 3.30pm The studio closes leaving plenty of time for those of you who have come from afar, to travel home.
â€¢ Goody bag including a Sew Different paper pattern of your choice
â€¢ Dedicated studio sewing with expert teaching
â€¢ Design, colour and styling advice from Laura
â€¢ A trip to Fabworks Mill shop
â€¢ Help and advice choosing your fabrics
â€¢ Free pattern for your off-cuts
â€¢ Lunch – a delicious spread of cheeses, mediterranean style salads and homemade cakes
â€¢ A decadent vintage afternoon tea with Prosecco on Saturday afternoon.
â€¢ Tea, coffee and fresh pastries and other yummy snacks available every day in the studio
â€¢ A 30% discount on all other Sew Different patterns
TOTAL COST Â£350
Â£100 deposit required to book your place and the full balance required 6 weeks before the retreat starts.
Current available dates are:Friday May 10th – Sunday May 12th – FULLY BOOKED
New dates coming next week
PAY YOUR DEPOSIT HERE