Sew Different brings you their Stitch ‘n’ Hammer retreat set in a stylish, contemporary venue near Leeds. Spend 3 full days working with fabrics and leather to create outfit unique to you. We make a fully lined poncho, a cross-the-body bag and co-ordinating jewellery.
Learn new techniques from expert teachers to compliment your sewing skills. In between stitches you can indulge in delicious lunches, homemade cake and chat with like-minded creative people.
The workshop starts with a trip to Fabworks Mill Shop where you will have time to browse their vast range and purchase the fabrics for your project. There will be help and advice on-hand from Laura, Sew Different’s designer, and from Fabworks’ resident fabric experts.
Then it is back to our light and modern sewing studio where you will have the benefit of a small teaching group (max 9) so that there is plenty of opportunity for one-on-one help if needed. Our dedicated sewing teacher, Donna, has many years experience with beginners, as well as more able sewists.
We will be making a fully lined poncho suitable for all seasons depending on your choice of fabric. There are several design variations to choose from, such as a cowl neck and a zip, so it can be made to your own taste and skill level. Help and advice are on hand every step of the way, from choosing your fabric, to cutting your pattern and putting your garment together.
For those of you who may finish more quickly than others, there is an extra simple sewing pattern provided so that you have the option to extend your outfit to include a matching top.
Tara is an experienced bag designer and maker and will teach you all the techniques needed to make this stylish cross-the-body bag. It is fully lined with an interior pocket, shoulder strap with D rings and rivets and leather trims. There is a wide choice of leather colours to choose from.
Tara will also be demonstrating some leather and bead jewellery making ideas and techniques so that you can create your own co-ordinating earrings or necklaces.
The retreat is suitable for beginners and intermediate sewists who have perhaps done some small sewing projects or made simple garments in the past. It is also a perfect workshop for more experienced sewists who would like to extend their craft skills to compliment their sewing.
Our studio is located in a newly refurbished mill with lots of natural light. All equipment is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own sewing machine if you prefer. Address: Hub 26, Hunsworth Lane, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Yorkshire is famous for its rolling green countryside and hosts some fantastic places to visit, including the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Cannon Hall, Leeds city centre with its Victorian shopping arcades and the famous Titanic Spa. There are also great walking and cycling routes for anyone who is thinking of bringing along a non-sewing partner!
Accommodation is not included in the retreat. However there is a Premier Inn a 2 minute drive away from the venue as well as several hotels such as Gommersal Lodge (1 mile), Gommersal Park Hotel & Spa (1.5 miles) and Healds Hall (2 miles)
Itinerary • 3 day course
- 9.30am Meet at the studio Friday morning for coffees, teas and an introduction from Laura.
- 10am Our minibus arrives to take us to Fabworks Mill Shop, a fabulous Aladdin’s Cave of every type of fabric you can imagine including a particularly great selection of high quality wools, tweeds, linens and other fabrics suitable for your poncho and bag. There is also a lovely range of Liberty and Avoca fabrics suitable for linings. You will have a couple of hours to browse and purchase all the fabric you want – no limit as long as you can carry it!
- 12.00 Back to the sewing studio for a delicious lunch and to meet our expert seamstress and teacher, Donna. We will be cutting and sewing your poncho during the afternoon. The studio will be open for you until 5pm.
- 9.30am Arrive Saturday at the studio for a full day of creativity. Donna will be there to help you finish your poncho up until midday. We will stop for a Mediterranean style lunch with homemade cakes in the lounge. After lunch we meet bag designer and leather expert, Tara, who will be running our bag workshop. The studio will be open until 5pm.
- 9.30am The studio opens again on Sunday morning for you to put the finishing touches to your bag. A light lunch will be served in the studio on Sunday and during the afternoon Tara will be demonstrating various techniques to create leather jewellery. We will have a large selection of leather off-cuts, rivets, fastenings and beads for you to make your own pieces.
- 3pm The studio closes leaving plenty of time for those of you who have come from afar, to travel home.
- Bright, spacious studio with expert and experienced teachers
- A trip to Fabworks Mill Shop
- Help and advice with choosing your fabric
- Poncho pattern
- Quick Makes top pattern
- Bag pattern
- All leather straps and trims, metalwork and bump for your bag
- All hooks, clasps and jewellery components including leather
- Homemade lunch with delicious cakes every day
- Tea, coffee and biscuits throughout the weekend
- 30% discount on all Sew Different sewing patterns
Please note that the venue has changed since the filming of this video.
Dates & Booking
Cost £299 – £100 deposit required to book your place and the full balance required 6 weeks before the retreat starts. Available dates:
15th – 17th May 2020 – 6 places available