Sew Different brings you their new urban sewing retreat set in a stylish, contemporary venue near Leeds. Spend 3 full days browsing fabrics, learning new techniques and creating a stylish piece of clothing that is completely unique. In between stitches you can indulge in afternoon tea and chat with like-minded creative sewists. Choose your project from the Sew Different range of sewing patterns and with the help of our expert advice and tuition, create a dress, top or jacket that fits you beautifully.
Please note that the venue has changed since the filming of this video.
The course starts with a trip out to the famous Fabworks Mill Shop where you will have time to browse their vast range and select the fabrics for your project. There will be help and advice on-hand from Laura, Sew Different’s designer, and from Fabworks’ resident fabric experts.
After this, it is back to our light and modern sewing studio where you will have the benefit of a small teaching group (max 10) so that there is plenty of opportunity for one-on-one help if needed. Our dedicated sewing teacher, Donna, has many years experience with beginners, as well as more able sewists. Help and advice are on hand every step of the way, from choosing your fabric, to cutting your pattern and putting your garment together. The retreat is suitable for beginners and intermediate sewists who have perhaps done some small sewing projects or made simple garments in the past. You can learn how to make your own bias binding, how to finish an immaculate neckline, fit the perfect zipper or add in an extra dart where needed. Every project is individual so we can tailor it to your own style and ability level. You can feel confident tackling new techniques knowing that technical help is always to hand.
Choose your project from the Sew Different range of multisize patterns. Laura will be there on day one to assist with the design, colour and fabric elements of your project. We will be very happy to guide you towards a project that is right for your level of expertise and there are plenty of clothing samples to try on to get idea of what suits you. In the past we have helped to customise and pattern hack for our sewists to reflect their creative urges(!) so that each project is unique.
Our studio is located in a newly refurbished mill with lots of natural light. All equipment is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own sewing machine if you prefer. Address: Hub 26, Hunsworth Lane, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Yorkshire is famous for its rolling green countryside and hosts some fantastic places to visit, including the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Cannon Hall, Leeds city centre with its Victorian shopping arcades and the famous Titanic Spa. There are also great walking and cycling routes for anyone who is thinking of bringing along a non-sewing partner!
Accommodation is not included in the retreat. However there is a Premier Inn a 2 minute drive away from the venue as well as several hotels such as Gommersal Lodge (1 mile), Gommersal Park Hotel & Spa (1.5 miles) and Healds Hall (2 miles)
Itinerary • 3 day course
- 9.30am Meet at the studio Friday morning for coffees, teas an introduction from Laura, when you can choose your project from the Sew Different range of patterns.
- 10.15am Our minibus arrives to take us to Fabworks Mill Shop, a fabulous Aladdin’s Cave of every type of fabric you can imagine. On arrival we will be met by Fabworks’ onsite expert who will be on-hand to advise each person of the suitability of fabric for their project. You will have a couple of hours to browse and purchase all the fabric you want – no limit as long as you can carry it!
- 12.00 Then back to the sewing studio for a delicious lunch and to meet our expert seamstress and teacher, Donna, who will be on hand for the duration of the course to help and advise you with the making of your garment. Whether you need help with the basics or fine tuning for a professional finish, you can work at your own pace. The studio will be open for you until 5pm.
- 9.30am Arrive Saturday at the studio for a full day of sewing. Donna (and at least one other teacher) will be there to help with your ongoing project. There are plenty of tasty snacks to keep you going, but save yourself for the decadent early afternoon tea served on vintage crockery with sandwiches, cakes and a glass (or 2) of Prosecco. You are free to stay and sew until 5pm.
- 9.30am The studio opens again on Sunday morning. There will be demonstrations of useful techniques and projects for your fabric off-cuts available for those who finish their garment early. Lunch will be served in the studio on Sunday and the afternoon is for you to finish off your sewing.
- 3pm The studio closes leaving plenty of time for those of you who have come from afar, to travel home.
WHAT’S INCLUDED ON THE 3 DAY COURSE:
• Sew Different paper pattern of your choice
• Dedicated studio sewing with expert teaching
• Design, colour and styling advice from Laura
• A trip to Fabworks Mill shop
• Help and advice choosing your fabrics
• Free Quick Makes pattern of your choice for your off-cuts
• A delicious homemade lunch every day
• A decadent early afternoon tea with Prosecco on Saturday.
• Teas, coffees and snacks available every day in the studio
• A 30% discount on all other Sew Different patterns
Cost £299 – £100 deposit required to book your place and the full balance required 6 weeks before the retreat starts. Available dates:
7th, 8th & 9th February 2020 – FULL
24th, 25th & 26th April 2020 – FULL
15th, 16th & 17th May 2020 – Stitch ‘n’ Hammer workshop – details here – 2 places left
3rd, 4th & 5th July 2020 – FULL
18th, 19th & 20th September 2020 – FULL