Sew Different brings you their new urban sewing retreat set in a stylish, contemporary venue near Leeds. Spend a long weekend browsing fabrics, learning new techniques and creating a stylish piece of clothing that is completely unique. In between stitches you can indulge in a delicious afternoon tea and chat with like-minded creative sewists. Choose your project from the Sew Different range of sewing patterns and with the help of our expert advice and tuition, create a dress, top or jacket that fits you beautifully.
Please note that the venue has changed since the filming of this video.
Our sewing retreat is suitable for all levels of experience. There is tuition on hand for beginners and intermediate sewists who have perhaps done some small sewing projects or made simple garments in the past. The more experienced will enjoy the communal sewing spirit, the creative atmosphere and the trip out to the famous Fabworks Mill Shop where there will be time to browse and select from the vast range of fabrics. There will be help and advice in choosing your fabric from Fabworks’ resident experts.
After this, it is back to our light and modern sewing studio where you will have the benefit of a small teaching group (max 10) so that there is plenty of opportunity for one-on-one help if needed. Our dedicated sewing teacher, Donna, has many years experience with beginners, as well as more able sewists. Help and advice are on hand every step of the way, from choosing your fabric, to cutting your pattern and putting your garment together. You can learn how to make your own bias binding, how to finish an immaculate neckline, fit the perfect zipper or to move a dart where needed. Every project is individual so we can tailor it to your own style and ability level. You can feel confident tackling new techniques knowing that technical help is always to hand.
Choose your project from the Sew Different range of multisize patterns. The designer, Laura, will be there on day one to “show you round” the patterns and assist with your choice. We will be very happy to guide you towards a project that is right for your level of expertise and there are plenty of clothing samples to try on to get idea of what suits you. In the past we have helped to customise and pattern hack for our sewists to reflect their creative urges(!) so that each project is unique.
Our studio is located in a newly refurbished mill with lots of natural light. All equipment is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own sewing machine if you prefer. We are located on the ground floor and have disabled access. Address: Hub 26, Hunsworth Lane, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Yorkshire is famous for its rolling green countryside and hosts some fantastic places to visit, including the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Cannon Hall, Leeds city centre with its Victorian shopping arcades and the famous Titanic Spa. There are also great walking and cycling routes for anyone who is thinking of bringing along a non-sewing partner!
Accommodation is not included in the retreat. However there is a Premier Inn a 2 minute drive away from the venue as well as several hotels such as Gommersal Lodge (1 mile), Gommersal Park Hotel & Spa (1.5 miles) and Healds Hall (2 miles)
Itinerary • Friday – Sunday course
- 1pm Meet at the studio on Friday for coffees, teas and an introduction from Laura and Tara, where you can choose your project from the Sew Different range of patterns.
- 1.45pm Our minibus arrives to take us to Fabworks Mill Shop, a fabulous Aladdin’s Cave of every type of fabric you can imagine. There is a short tour of the mill shop and on-hand to advice for selecting your fabrics. You will have a couple of hours to browse and purchase all the fabric you want – no limit as long as you can carry it!
- 4pm Then back to the sewing studio to settle in, cut out your paper patterns and be ready to start in the morning. The studio will be open for you until 5pm.
- 9.30am Arrive Saturday at the studio to meet our expert seamstress and teacher, Donna, who will be on hand for the duration of the course to help and advise you with the making of your garment. Whether you need help with the basics or fine tuning for a professional finish, you can work at your own pace. Donna will be there to help with your ongoing project. There are plenty of tasty snacks to keep you going, but save yourself for the decadent afternoon-tea-style lunch with sandwiches, cakes and a glass of Prosecco. You are free to stay and sew until 5pm.
- 9.30am The studio opens again on Sunday morning. Donna will be available to demonstrate any techniques you would like to learn and help you with your finishing. For those who finish their garment early, they can make a start on their Quick Makes pattern. Lunch will be served in the studio on Sunday and the afternoon is for you to finish off your sewing.
- 4pm The studio closes leaving plenty of time for those of you who have come from afar, to travel home.
WHAT’S INCLUDED ON THE COURSE:
- Dedicated studio sewing with expert teaching – max 10 students
- Design, colour and styling advice from Laura
- A trip to Fabworks Mill shop
- Sew Different paper pattern of your choice
- Free Quick Makes paper pattern of your choice
- A RETREAT DISCOUNT voucher for Fabworks – 10% off fabric purchases under £100 or £15% off purchases over £100
- Help and advice choosing your fabrics
- A decadent early afternoon-tea-style lunch with Prosecco on Saturday
- A delicious homemade lunch on Sunday
- Teas, coffees and snacks available every day in the studio
- A 30% discount on all other Sew Different patterns
- A 10% discount on Sew Different fabrics
Cost £299 – £100 deposit required to book your place and the full balance required 6 weeks before the retreat starts. Available dates: