Sew Different bring you the opportunity to escape from the city and create a stylish garment in a beautiful studio location. Enjoy 3 days in picturesque West Yorkshire, chatting with fellow sewists, browsing fabrics, indulging in afternoon tea and enjoying the historic landscape. Choose from the Sew Different range of sewing patterns, and, with the help of the expert advice and tuition, create a unique garment that fits you beautifully.
Set in the beautiful village of Marsden, famous for its dramatic landscape and contemporary arts and crafts, the Loftspace Studio is an creative hub of artist’s studios. Browse the work of weaves, knitters and embroiderers who work alongside you as you sew.
The Colne Valley’s rich textile heritage is evident as soon as you arrive, characterised by weavers’ cottages set into hill sides, and converted mills that tower over the landscape. A trip out and tour of the infamous Fabworks Mill Shop is a great way to start the course. While the rest of your days are filled with sewing, your evenings are free to test out some of the local gastronomy.
For the duration of the course, help and advice are on hand every step of the way, from choosing your fabric to cutting your pattern and putting your garment together. This 3 day course is suitable for beginners and intermediate sewists who have maybe done some small sewing projects or made simple garments in the past.
Laura, designer of Sew Different patterns, oversees your visit and is there to talk to you about the design elements of your project, from choosing a pattern, colour, styling and fabric choices. Experienced sewing teacher, Donna, is a wealth of knowledge with many years of teaching a wide range of students from beginners to the more experienced. Every project is individual so you can tailor it to your own style and ability level and tackle new techniques, knowing that technical help is on hand.
Maybe bring a partner who will make use of the famous walking and cycling terrain (the Pennine cycleway, route 68). You can spot 15 sculptures between Milnsbridge and Marsden on the River Colne Sculpture Trail. Or if that sounds like hard work, you can visit the multi-award winning Titanic Spa which is only a 10 minute drive away.
- We meet at 10am Friday morning for an introduction from Laura, when you can choose your project from the Sew Different range of patterns.
- Our minibus arrives to take us to Fabworks Mill Shop, a fabulous Aladdin’s den of every type of fabric you can image and trims from the prestigious Avoca range. On arrival we will be met by Fabworks’ onsite-expert who will give us a tour of the premises and will be on-hand to advise each person of the suitability of fabric for their project. You will have a couple of hours to browse and purchase all the fabric you want – no limit so long as you can carry it!
- We are whisked back to Marsden for a delicious prepared lunch. Then back to the studio to meet our expert seamstress and teacher, who be on hand for the duration of the course to help and advise you with the making of your garment. Whether you need help with the basics or fine tuning for a pro finish, you can work at your own pace. The Loftspace studio will be open for you until 5.30pm.
- If you are staying or eating out in Marsden itself, the village is a 10 minute walk along the pretty canal tow path. Friday evening you are free to explore the surrounding area.
- On Saturday, the studio opens at 10am for a full day of sewing. Both Laura and Donna will be on hand to help with your ongoing project. There are always a few delicious mid morning snacks to keep you going, but save yourself for the decadent afternoon tea served on vintage crockery with sandwiches, cakes and a glass(or 2 or 3) of Prosecco at 3pm. You are free to stay and sew until 5pm. Saturday evening is free and we are happy to book a table for you at a local restaurant.
- The studio opens again at 10am on Sunday morning (although you are welcome to turn up later on if you need your Sunday lie-in.) There will be a demonstration of a great little project that is perfect for using up your off-cuts – pattern provided for you to take home if you don’t have time to make it on the day. Lunch will be served in the studio.
- Sunday afternoon is for you to finish off your projects. The studio closes at 3pm leaving plenty of time for those of you who have come from afar, to travel home.
• Goody bag including a Sew Different paper pattern of your choice
• 3 days in the studio sewing with expert teaching
• Design, colour and styling advice on hand from Laura
• A guided tour around Fabworks Mill shop
• Help and advice choosing your fabrics
• Mini project demonstration & free pattern for your off-cuts
• Lunch on Friday and Sunday – a delicious spread of rustic bread, mediterainian style salads and homemade cakes
• A decadent vintage afternoon tea with Prosecco on Saturday afternoon.
• Tea, coffee and fresh pastries and other yummy snacks available every day in the studio
• A 30% discount on all other Sew Different patterns
Deposit required to book your place and the balance required 4 weeks before the retreat starts. Current available date are:
Fri 15th – Sun 17th September – places available FULL
The price for the retreat is £350. The £100 deposit will secure your place and is fully refundable up until 8 weeks before the retreat. After that, it becomes non-refundable.
Please feel free to email me with any questions or, if you would like to speak to me in person, email me your number and I will give you a call ASAP – [email protected]ent.co.uk