The Tulip Dress started life on my website as a free pattern and was very popular. However, after 3 years of downloads and many requests, I have finally converted it into a multi-size pattern. I have improved the fit and cut from it’s original super-simple 2 piece pattern – you can find the details of the new pattern here.
I made it originally in a pretty black spotty fabric and kept it very simple (I know what you like!) But, here is version 2: I couldn’t resist making some slight changes and renaming it Tulip dress with colourblock!
The fabric is slightly less drapey that the original spot and you can see that it holds its tulip shape more strongly. The exaggerated curve on the skirt is really clear. It is shown here made from a red and grey check cotton (that is actually a Burberry shirting), combined with a slightly heavier red satin. Both fabrics are from Fabworks online. The sleeves are finished with bias binding made from the same satin.
If you wanted to add this colour block in yourself, you just need to cut a line about 20cm up from the bottom of your pattern on both the front and back. Cut these shapes out of fabric and join your 2 pieces of coloured fabric to the main part of the dress. Do this BEFORE you try and sew the back and front of the dress together.
And as a little extra feature, I also put a notch into the neckline. I thought it echoed the V of the front pleat in a pleasing way. This detail is not on the pattern though – you would have to create it yourself if you wanted it. I am not going into details here, but if you felt confident enough to try it, you would just finish it with bias binding in the same way as the rest of the neckline.